Sunday 14 October 2018

Where to Start?

As I said in my previous post, I am struggling to decide how to help my students acquire the skills they need to find "reliable" sources for their information needs.  I put quotation marks around reliable because I'm still not sure if that is the correct word.  Almost any source could be considered reliable depending on the information need.  Would "appropriate" be a better?  Suggestions anyone? 

Mention of "information needs" leads me to think that this would be a good place to start in helping students to develop their research skills.  What is the topic?  What is the research question?  What is required to answer the question or questions?  Facts, statistics, opinions, maps, diagrams, academic articles, news articles, etc.  I realise that this is an obvious starting place but I do wonder if teachers actually discuss it with their students. 

No comments:

Post a Comment